The "sock" file is not a permanent file. It is a socket descriptor that
should only exist if the MySQL server is running and if the server is
configured to supports socket-type connections. Most of the default
installations DO NOT start the server as part of the installation process.
That way you have a chance to customize any configurations before the
first start (very convenient if you are migrating or upgrading).

If you do not see a sock file it means: a) you haven't started the server
(either in stand-alone or daemon mode) or  b) you do not have a version of
the server that supports system sockets or c) your server's configuration
file is defined in such a way to suppress system socket usage.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

https://order.mysql.com/?ref=ensita