Fredrik,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fredrik Carlsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 9:57 PM
Subject: Question about innodb, ibdata1

Hi,

I'm using InnoDB with tablespaces for almost all tables. The last few
week the file ibdata1 has started to grow, should it really do this when
using tablespaces? i did an alter on one of the bigger tables some time

if you are using

innodb_file_per_table

in my.cnf, then the tables are stored in .ibd files.

If the table that you ALTER is not stored in the ibdata1 file, then the ibdata1 file should not grow in the ALTER.

Note that InnoDB stores undo logs to ibdata files. If you forget a transaction dangling then purge cannot remove the undo log files. That would cause ibdata1 to grow constantly. Use:

SHOW INNODB STATUS\G

to determine if you have dangling transactions.

ago to alter the size of a varchar collumn, could this has something to
do with it?

I'm using MySQL 4.1.11

// Fredrik Carlsson

Regards,