I'm fairly new to MySQL and am getting an error messages like:

ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 5: You have an error in your SQL syntax;
check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for
the right syntax to use near '"id" int(14) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
    "forename" varchar(40) NOT NU' at line 2
neelix hgs 18 %>

So it doesn't tell me exactly where, or what the nature of the
syntax error is (and it can't even tell me it is version 4.1.13
which I know already).  It has truncated the second line, so it's not
that the rest is missing.  My editor's syntax highlighter doesn't
show anything awful.  This is actually for lines 7 and 8 of the
input, the first 4 lines being comments, so the numbering in the
output is wrong.

Are there any tools (like lint for C) to be more verbose and helpful
about this?

        Thank you,
        Hugh