Hi,

I have just tried your routine, I use something very similar, (I have changed
the "localhost" to 127.0.0.1 so it will not use the pipeline) but I am still
expiriencing the same exact problem, weather reconnect is set or not, the
error remains the same. That is what got me wondering in the first place.

---

(MySQL shutdown)

Begin
Failed to connect to database: Error: Can't connect to MySQL server on
'127.0.0.1' (60)

(MySQL startup with mysql.reconnect = 1/0)

Error: MySQL server has gone away

---

This is always what I am getting. Does reconnect work right for you?

Regards,

Lefteris

Gleb Paharenko wrote:
Hello.

In my opinion it depends on the value of reconnect flag (the part of
MYSQL structure). I've written a simple program which connects to MySQL
server,
waits a bit and executes mysql_ping. While it is waiting, MySQL server
is being restarted. If mysql.reconnect = 1, mysql_ping() returns
success, otherwise we have "Server has gone away". Here is the test program:

#include<stdio.h>
#include<mysql/mysql.h>
int main()
{
        MYSQL mysql;
        char c;

        printf("Begin\n");
        mysql_init(&mysql);
        mysql_options(&mysql,MYSQL_READ_DEFAULT_GROUP,"mysql");
        if (!mysql_real_connect(&mysql,"localhost"

                                                ,"root"

                                                ,""

                                                ,"test"

                                                ,0

                                                ,NULL

                                                ,0))
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "Failed to connect to database: Error: %s\n",
                                  mysql_error(&mysql));
        }
        mysql.reconnect = 0;
        c=getchar();
        if( mysql_ping(&mysql) != 0)
        {
                printf("Error: %s", mysql_error(&mysql));
        }
        else
        {
                printf("Ok!\n");
        }

}

Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:

Hi,

Is mysql_ping () suppose to restore a db connection even after a db
restart?

Thnx,

Lefteris