Hi,

> The server where the db was located got hacked and I had to
> reinstall the whole thing. The old HD is preserved as was
> and the server got a new HD. I moved the old db to the new
> disk and when I try to access it, I get the following error:
>
> mysql> use thedb;
> Can't read dir of './thedb/' (Errcode: 13)
> Database changed
> mysql> show tables;
> ERROR 12: Can't read dir of './thedb/' (Errcode: 13)
> mysql>

Error code 13 stands for "permission denied". make sure the whole
MySQL data directory is owned by the same user you run the mysql
daemon as.

i'm not completely sure about the RPM install, but it should run it
as user "mysql" - in that case, run "chown -R mysql /mysql/data/dir"
as root.

Rgds,
  Tfr

 --==< [EMAIL PROTECTED] >==< MySQL development team >==< Tallinn / Estonia >==--