On 10/19/05, Martijn Tonies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> First of all, is there any way of limiting the number of rows in a
>> table, referencing to the same element of another table? For example,
>> force a manager not to have more than 10 employees under his control.
>> In a way this can be seen as checking the multiplicity of the
>> relation between the two tables. I know one way would be using
>> triggers, but I was wondering if there was a way of specifying this
>> when the table is constructed.

In MySQL triggers are the only way. In SQL you might be able to use an
assertion depending on your exact needs. (Don't know if there is any
database that actually implements them per the standard.)

> The way to do this would be via CHECK constraints, but MySQL
> doesn't support them.

CHECK constraints won't work. If I have a parent table and need to
maintain a multiplicity of 1 to 3 children in the child table, how is
a CHECK going to stop somebody from deleting all rows in the child
table?

Jochem