Kenji HIROHAMA wrote:
(I've posted to forums, but also send to this ML.)

Hi,

I took a look at mysql.com, but I still have a question about
commercial license.

If we build and host a web-system with MySQL, which provide services
to customers not for free.
Customers pay for our services.

In this case, we don't distribute our softwre/system directly to our customers.

I heard from someone of MySQL AB, probaly CEO, that people should buy
commercial license if MySQL Server is used for their business. (in
other words, making profit with MySQL Server.)

Should we buy commercial license in my case?
Hi Hirohama,

Due to the fact that MySQL is licensed under a dual licensing system, you do not need to purchase a license of MySQL for using the database software for commercial use. You have a choice in the case that you don't like the terms of the GPL license[1], you can choose to license the software under a commercial license[2] from MySQL AB.

For example you write a web interface to access data stored on a MySQL database, you do not need a license for MySQL, in terms of the GPL and you can freely utilise any version of MySQL which has been licensed under the GPL even if they change the license for future versions of MySQL you can continue to use the last version which was released under the GPL.

Regards
--jm

[1] http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/opensource-license.html
[2] http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html