Since you want the setup with the least headache and because you are
thinking of writing a book about how to use MySQL, I recommend the Without
Installer version.

It's basically 4 steps:
1) unzip
2) edit config file
3) install as service
4) start the service

It can actually take you more time to diagnose a botched MSI install than
it will take to do it by hand, correctly, the first time, while reading
the step by step instructions.

May I kindly refer you to the INSTALLATION section of the manual:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-installation.html

I got my first MySQL database (ever) running in about 15 minutes by
following these steps (as a complete MySQL newbie). Way less time than it
ever took me to do a CD install of MS SQL server.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine