Jigal van Hemert wrote:

Aleksandra wrote:

I've written a search machine. It's working quite well, but I have two problems:

1. When I give the following syntax : cat and dog , as a result I get everything with at least one of the words: 'cat', 'dog' but also 'and'. What can I do, so that it's not looking for the word 'and' or some other similar words like 'or', etc..

2. I would like the search machine to look for the results that consist both: 'cat' and 'dog' and not only one of this words.

I assume that you use Full-Text searches (but somehow you have managed to change the default minimum word length to three). Maybe you can find the functionality you want in Boolean Full-Text searches (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-boolean.html).

Changing 'cat and dog' to '+cat +dog' is a matter of parsing the input in your application. You have to be beware of expressions such as 'cat "dog and man" +bird' where your "noise words" are suddenly relevant when inside double quotes.

As far as I understand what you've written - if I change the minimum word length to 4, I won't get any result with the word 'and', but what's more - I won't get any result, because all the words I've used are not longer than 3 letters. Another thing ist that there are many short words that make sense, so it won't solve my problems.

Any more ideas?