I am not able to make mysqld to bind to a TCP port. It works with UNIX
sockets just fine, but not with TCP.

Bellow you will see the output of the version command.

I have Mandrake 7.2. First I tried with the installation that came with
Mandrake (3.23.23). Then I installed the 3.23.37 version. Again no luck.

I tried starting the deamon with --port and --bind-address options. None
of it worked. I am installing and starting as root.

Any suggestions?

# mysqladmin version

mysqladmin  Ver 8.8 Distrib 3.23.23-beta, for pc-linux-gnu on i686
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version          3.23.37
Protocol version        10
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket             /tmp/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 13 min 13 sec

Threads: 2  Questions: 28  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 12  Flush tables: 1
Open tables: 6 Queries per second avg: 0.035