Zan B. wrote:
Hello all!

I wanted to discuss a problem I am having with setting up MySQL.

I noticed that my root password isn't set. When i try to set it via phpMyAdmin, MySQL doesn't recognize my databases, and denies all connections. Now I've tried setting the password via SSH by accessing the MySQL prompt, and through Webmin and phpMyAdmin, etc.. but to no avail, it won't work! I have MySQL 4.0.16 and I run on FreeBSD.

I would really appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks.

Setting the root password should have been the first thing you did after installing mysql. Did you follow the post-installation instructions <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/post-installation.html>?

If you need help, please tell us precisely what you did (commands entered in the msql client, procedure followed using phpMyAdmin, etc.) and exactly (copy/paste) the results you got. The best way to diagnose the cause of a connection failure is to read the error message from mysql. We need to see that if you want us to give you meaningful help.

Michael