Table function: A function that return a value of the table data type
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_ta-tz_7ysl.asp).

This is similar but not the same as creating a temporary table to store
the results of a query. Variables declared as type "table" do not have any
of the restrictions that apply to even local temporary tables because they
only have procedure scope (unless used as a return data type then they are
also available in the scope that called the function). MySQL does not
support the "table" data type (yet).

Nested selects have been supported in MySQL since 4.0 (part of the UNION
enhancement)

SELECT tbl1.field1, ...
FROM (SELECT ... FROM ... ) as tbl1

This is NOT subquery syntax, it is actually a form of an anonymous view (a
view with no name). That is why, if you are going to use that form, you
must alias the interior (SELECT ...) expression with a name (so the
exterior select expression has a table name to work with). I looked in the
docs but couldn't find it again. Who has a pointer to it handy?

There are certain "convenience" facilities in MS SQL server (like DTS
packages) that could require significant development and maintenance to
migrate to MySQL 5.0. It's the "gee-whiz" where MS wins not on
performance. If you like bare-knuckle database performance, MySQL can go
toe-to-toe with just about any other player on the market. Plus, MySQL has
a price advantage over most of the other players in its performance range.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine