Shankar Unni wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

If I understand the InnoDB engine correctly, I don't see how they could speed it up unless they start tracking how many records belong to each active "version" within a database.

But one thing you can do to speed it up somewhat is to do a COUNT(PK_column) (rather than COUNT(*)) if you have a column that is a primary key for the table - that's the same thing semantically, and involves searching an index rather than the data records themselves, which should involve less I/O.

If I understand
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/table-and-index.html
correctly, the index of the primary key is stored as the clustered index together with the data. To me this means that there is no difference between counting the primary key entries and counting the data entries.

Regards, Jigal.