I screwed up the permissions on my database.   Basically I revoked all
the permissions of the root account on the mysql database.

To try to fix this, I went through all of the instructions here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

I changed this a little to do what i was trying to do, running:
mysqld-nt.exe --defaults-file="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\my.ini"
--init-file=C:\mysql-init.txt

except in the mysql-init.txt file I put this:

GRANT ALL ON mysql.* TO root

I also tried this:

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO root

I also tried this with the --skip-grant-tables options

Does any one know why this isn't working? Nothing happens.  Root has the same
permissions as before.

I am using Win 2000