From: J.R. Lillard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 12:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: slow threads on linux

for a long time we were running 3.23.x on a solaris 2.7 machine with 4
cpu's at 400mhz each and 3 gigs of ram.  the latest release we made it up
to was 3.23.36.  we get fairly decent traffic to our site it keeps the
database busy.  we recently switched to redhat with 2 cpu's at 1ghz each
and 1.5 gigs of ram.  we started with redhat 7.0 which comes with the 2.2
kernel.  even though we were using the enterprise kernel, things were
running terribly slow because of the kernel "feature" that penalized a
process for forking too many threads.  we upgraded to redhat 7.1 and began
using the 2.4 enterprise kernel and all seemed to be fine.  as our traffic
has increased, we have needed to increase the thread_cache_size variable
to keep more threads open.  if we don't do this, it seems like we run back
into the problem of mysql threads not spawning fast enough.  is this
expected behaviour?  are solaris threads *that* much more efficient or is
there something else we should be tweaking instead of the
thread_cache_size?

-jr