Marc,

>I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project involving many >users and data so of course, Access is not an option anymore. Since it's a project requiring >thousand of files and several applications all linked together, I can't create it once and change >it later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and ASP/MSSQL? It's >not a giant project but it might include around 20'000 members interacting daily through
>forums, blogs, messages etc...

.NET/MySQL will be a _lot_ cheaper than .NET/MSSQL. Visual Studio will save you a lot of time, but even that is a cost consideration, there is a free .NET GUI too. If you go Windows and .NET, I'd strongly encourage you to use Connector/NET rather than Connector/ODBC. Assuming you are using such a direct connector rather than ODBC, there are small MySQL-MSSQL differences in how you work with the database in the .NET GUI, but these differences will not slow you down appreciably. If OS is a major issue for you, it's even possible now to develop in .NET/MySQL on Linux, but a main point of .NET is to insulate you from the OS, and IAC Windows is not hard to get comfortable with, even if you hate it as many do.

PB

-----

Marc Pidoux wrote:

I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project involving many users and data so of course, Access is not an option anymore. Since it's a project requiring thousand of files and several applications all linked together, I can't create it once and change it later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and ASP/MSSQL? It's not a giant project but it might include around 20'000 members interacting daily through forums, blogs, messages etc...

Thanks,

Marc