At 08:33 PM 11/4/2005, you wrote:
Mike,

----- Original Message ----- From: "mos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2005 12:11 AM
Subject: Heikki: What will become of InnoDb once MySQL license runs out

Heikki,
I am about to start a large MySQL project that requires transactions and I
need to know if InnoDb will be around for MySQL after MySQL's license for
InnoDb runs out in 2006.

the current GPL version of MySQL/InnoDB will of course be available then by the very nature of the GPL license.

Sure but if people have commercial applications that use InnoDb, then what? Is there a surprise "tax" waiting for them next year?

The MySQL AB - Innobase Oy OEM agreement is about commercial non-GPL MySQL/InnoDB licenses. About that agreement I want to refer to the official press release of Oracle Corporation:
http://www.oracle.com/innodb/index.html

From the website:
>>InnoDB's contractual relationship with MySQL comes up for renewal next year. Oracle fully expects to negotiate an extension of that relationship. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed. <<

It seems to me Oracle now has MySQL AB by the short and curlies. <bg>
Negotiating a "fair" contract renewal could be painful under these conditions, don't you think?

If Oracle is that much in favor of continuing the InnoDb contract with MySQL, why didn't they pre-announce it saying the terms and conditions would be the same as before. Or are they going to change the contract so they collect $500 or even $1000 extra for every commercial application that is distributed with InnoDb?

If this happens, what alternative will MySQL be offering their users who need transactions and RI?

If yes, will you still be supporting it or will
it be up to MySQL AB?

I want to refer to the official press release where Charles Rozwat, Oracle's Executive Vice President in charge of Database and Middleware Technology says: "Oracle intends to continue developing the InnoDB technology and expand our commitment to open source software."

And did he say at what cost to the MySQL developers? It never struck me that Larry Ellison was a humanitarian who wanted a competitor to succeed. (Did Larry hit his head?<vbg>)

Did Oracle give you any reason as to why they wanted to buy InnoDb? Are they going to be replacing Oracle's row locking with InnoDb? If they're not going to be using InnoDb, why buy it? This is looking more like a preemptive strike against MySQL. In which case, why would they honor the next contract?

It's a lot like seeing a neighboring army surround your oil fields and then hear them say, "No cause for alarm! We're here to help you improve your pumping efficiencies!". You just have to wonder how sincere are they? Should I trust Larry Ellison with the deed to my house?

Mike