Thanks again, I am certainly learning a lot more about MySQL.

It not quite what I was looking for but it does give me another option to use.

I am not really a developer or anything so I keep to fairly simple things and like to use SQL and a scripting language. I can do what I want on the client script side.

I was thinking of something like the Javascript Eval method (and the similar VBScript Eval function) that allow you to construct a string by whatever means and then execute it as a command. This gives the scripter some flexibility that probably is a lazy way to a better solution but ...

Probably the best example I can offer is

Table = MathsOperations
Val1 = 5
Val2 = 3
Operation = 'Val1 * Val2'

Select Val1,Val2,Operation, Eval(Operation) From MathsOperations

Would return
5,3,'Val1 * Val2',15

As I say I can do this at the client side but it occurred to me that it would be useful to be able to do it within SQL. But I am happy with what I have learned.

Rhino wrote:
The kind of thing you are talking about, where you execute a text string that is supplied at runtime, is called dynamic SQL. I've used it in the database which I use most of the time, DB2, but had never seen it in MySQL when I was making my initial reply to your question. I just had a look at the MySQL manual to see if it was there, since I was concerned that I might have simply overlooked it earlier. As it turns out, I *had* indeed missed the existence of dynamic SQL in MySQL! Mind you, the MySQL manual uses the term 'prepared statements' instead of 'dynamic SQL'. You didn't say what version of MySQL you are running but if you are using 5.0 or later, dynamic SQL is possible for you. Have a look at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/sqlps.html. This would appear to be what you originally wanted. If you are on MySQL 4.1.x, prepared _SQL_ statements are, apparently, not available but you can accomplish the same effect with the C API. If you look at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/c-api-prepared-statements.html and the subsequent parts of that chapter, you will see the API described. Now, I don't know how you feel about writing statements that aren't SQL but this may offer an acceptable way for you to do what you want to do. By the same token, Java offers ways to send text strings to a program at runtime and having them interpreted to return whatever you want. However, I know that some people want to be able to do everything in pure SQL without any application code in the picture; if that is your situation, you may want to upgrade to 5.0 or 5.1 so that you have the capabilities you need. Naturally, stored procedures and user defined functions are still valid ways of solving the problems you posed. I apologize profusely for giving you the impression that what you wanted was not available in MySQL; I simply had never looked for dynamic SQL capabilities in MySQL and had never stumbled across their existence in the manual when looking for other things. I spend most of my time in DB2 and only occasionally work with MySQL and my own copy of MySQL is 4.0.x which doesn't support prepared statements so I just never knew that they were there in the later releases. Sorry for any confusion I caused! Rhino