> We were storing relational data all in one field in XML.   We now have a
> need to search through that data and we're now doing fulltext searches.
> And as you can imagine, this is getting painfully slow.

Indeed NDB does not support fulltext search.

> So if TEXT fieldtypes are stored in a separate table, and Varchar fields
> are max length.  What am I to do?  Why are TINYTEXT fields not useful?

In Cluster, TINYTEXT is just an expensive way to store 8+256 bytes.

> If I setup the fieldtypes with the limiter  'varchar(6)'  it'll still
> store the maxlength?

That would use 8 bytes always (1+6 round up to 4 bytes).

If you specify say Varchar(255) then each tuple uses 1+255 bytes,
even if you only store 'abc123' which should take 8 bytes.
This is so in 5.0.

--
Pekka Nousiainen, Software Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com