Hi,

On Nov 11, 2005, at 10:01 PM, Marcus Bointon wrote:

At the time I reported this bug back in February: http:// bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=8684 I was pleased to see it apparently fixed so fast. I wasn't yet using MySQL 5, so I couldn't get the fix. I am now upgrading to 5 using mysql 5.0.15, and I find I still face much the same problem. Despite much rummaging in the docs, the log-warnings options still seem completely undocumented (it gets a few mentions as a startup option, but nowhere does it say where the messages disappear to), and despite having it 'enabled' (it's difficult to know what to set it to as it has no documentation) in my.cnf, I'm not seeing warnings logged anywhere. I had assumed they'd go in the error log, but that seems to be mostly empty. Putting it in the regular or binary logs seems hopeless - I'm trying to pick out numerous (> 20000) warnings that happen during a 1.2 million record mysqldump import. Anything that I've tried for processing text log files (grep/sed/awk/vi etc) takes several hours at a time and usually finds nothing of use.

If I could see the warnings then I could probably fix the problem that's causing them at source.

Help! If there was at least a user note on warnings I could be saved - can anyone tell me where I might find the warning messages, along with the query that caused them?

The log-warnings option doesn't do what you want. It will cause the mysqld server log more internal errors. Non-critical errors such as network disconnects will be logged into the error log with that setting.

The option you want it is the --show-warnings option for the mysql client itself.

mysql --show-warnings db < file.sql

Should output the errors to screen afaik. You can redirect it to a file or similar if you want.

Regards,

Harrison

--
Harrison C. Fisk, Trainer and Consultant
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Get a jumpstart on MySQL Cluster -- http://www.mysql.com/consulting/ packaged/cluster.html