[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

"Murray @ PlanetThoughtful" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/11/2005 08:44:37 PM:

Hi All,

I recently upgraded from MySQL 4.1.14 to 5.0.15 on my WinXP machine.

For some reason my root login can't access the mysql database anymore, though I can use it to access the databases I have defined. In effect, it seems as though I have no real root (or administrator level, if that's a better way of putting it) login anymore...

Does anyone know how I go about granting administrator privileges to root for the mysql database?

Any help appreciated!

Much warmth,

Murray @ PlanetThoughtful

Are you talking about "root" the OS user or "root" the MySQL user account? One or more of the following sections may apply to your situation:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/common-errors.html

MySQL may have a user called root or not. It all depends on how it has been setup.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/privilege-system.html

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Hi Shawn,

Sorry, I'm talking about "root" the MySQL user account. The account exists -- I can perform the following, for example:

c:>mysql --user=root ptnew -p

Once I supply the password, this will put me in to the ptnew database, which is one that I created for one of my local development web sites.

However, I can't do:

c:>mysql --user=root mysql -p

Once I supply the password, I get an access denied error. Similarly for when I attempt to get into the test database.

(It probably goes without saying, but I get the same access denies error when issuing "use mysql;" or "use test;")

It seems my privileges got messed up during the upgrade from 4.1.7 to 5.0.15, and now I don't appear to have any real "administrator" login, in that I can't create new users, or modify privileges etc.

I'll check the links out that you supplied, but if you have any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks and much warmth,

Murray @ PlanetThoughtful