I see in the pthread(3) man page that there's an environment variable

  PTHREAD_CONCURRENCY      The number of concurrent threads to be run.
                              This value should at least be 1, and smaller
                              than or equal to the number of CPUs.

Do I need to set this to be more than 1 in the mysqld environment?

Apparently the answer to this is 'yes', based on a brief experiment I just did. Very nice.

I'd still like some tool that lets me see the threads inside a process...

chris