Alvaro Cobo:
> I have a database with thousands of rows which by mistake was imported in
> the wrong way and all the spanish characters went wrong. For example the
> letter 'á' appears like 'Ãf¡'.

That looks like text that was in the UTF-8 encoding has been mistaken for an
eight-bit encoding, transcoded from that eight-bit encoding to UTF-8, and
then *again* mistaken for an eight-bit encoding. When your data is messed up
that badly it will take some manual work to fix it. That is, you can't get
MySQL to do it for you; you'll need some conversion tool to reverse the
mangling. As a Fedora user I'd run it through Iconv. I don't know what tools
are available for Windows.

> The problem is that I am trying to recover
> this database and have tried all the possible collations and no one
> results, and also cannot export this database again because I have dropped
> it, and have only the dump file.

Assuming your example above was how the text looks when retrieved from MySQL,
what does it look like in the dump file? Do non-English letters look like
four garbage letters like above, or do they perhaps look like only two
garbage letters? If you're lucky, the dump file isn't quite as messed up as
the imported data.

Björn Persson