Some months ago, I wrote a MySQL user-defined procedure (based on
sql_analyse.cc). It works well (has survived a test of 200M queries):
however, at the moment, I'm reviewing the code and trying to make it
more robust. As part of this, I'm trying to send error messages back to
the mysql client, and am having considerable difficulty figuring out how
to do this. The obvious candidate is net_printf, but this requires a THD
object as the first argument, and I'm not clear on how to obtain this,
if it is called from within a function which has not received a THD
object as its own first argument.

I've tried using the current_thd macro: this apparently returns a valid
THD object, but using it as the first argument in a call to net_printf
seems to cause the connection with the client to be terminated, and the
thread itself to die.

Apologies if I'm missing something blatantly obvious (almost certainly
the case): I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right
direction.