From: Mikhail Berman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:58 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: How do I?

Hello everyone,

I have changed a value of  "max_allowed_packet" in  "my.cnf".

Do I need to restart MySQL itself for the change to take place or is there a
way to refresh this variable (parameter) without restart of MySQL?

I have looked through documentation and www.mysql.com and could not find the
answer.

Below is info on my environment:

mysql> status
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.9, for sun-solaris2.8 (sparc)

Connection id:          7230
Current database:
Current user:           xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SSL:                    Not in use
Current pager:          stdout
Using outfile:          ''
Using delimiter:        ;
Server version:         4.1.9-standard
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Server characterset:    latin1
Db     characterset:    latin1
Client characterset:    latin1
Conn.  characterset:    latin1
UNIX socket:            /tmp/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 12 days 11 hours 48 min 22 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 47908924  Slow queries: 983  Opens: 4964  Flush
tables: 1  Open tables: 275  Queries per second avg: 44.389

Thank you in advance,

Mikhail Berman