Peter Matulis wrote:
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Peter Matulis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/15/2005 02:47:56
PM:

but in phpmyadmin I get these types of warning for five
tables:
table 1:
UNIQUE and INDEX keys should not both be set for column `email`

table 2:
More than one INDEX key was created for column `mail_id`
More than one INDEX key was created for column `rid`

table 3:
More than one INDEX key was created for column `sid`

table 4:
More than one INDEX key was created for column `preference`

table 5:
UNIQUE and INDEX keys should not both be set for column `email`

Should I be worried about this?

Only if you care about the speed of your INSERTs and how much
space your data+indexes take on your hard drives. If you don't care about either of those performance factors, then no, you don't need to worry about those warnings.

But what are the advantages?  If none, why is such a schema proposed?

There are no advantages. It is duplication of indexes which do exactly the same thing.

If phpMyAdmin creates that schema it is probably a bug in phpMyAdmin. Upgrade to the latest version (as I use the latest and have seen no such bug) or contact the developers of phpMyAdmin.

Jasper