"Kraer, Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/16/2005 04:17:17 PM:

> First let me say that I'm a newbie and that I've seen a few instances of
> this error in the list, but I haven't seen my case.
>
> I'm running WAMP5, v. 1.4.4.  I'm trying to restore an Eventum v. 1.4
> backup done with mysqldump in a LAMP machine.  The restoration process
> invariably stops at line 517.  I've split the 4.19GB backup file into
> 16MB portions for easy view and looked at the first file portion in
> WordPad.  There's nothing esoteric in the neighborhood of line 517.
> I've tried to do this restoration through the following command line:
> shell> mysql -uusername -ppassword eventum < sourcefile.sql.  The
> process also bombs out if I try to use MySQL Administrator.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Joseph "Tito" Kraer
> Business Systems Analyst
> Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp
> 1417 N Magnolia Avenue
> Ocala, FL 34470
> Ph. 352-671-0678
> Fax 352-671-0778
> Int. x11678
>
> For change requests, enhancements, or design changes, please email
> Business Systems at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> For all support issues, please contact Application Support at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 352-671-0262 (internal ext.
> 11262).

I saw that error frequently until I discovered what the max_allowed_packet
setting was for. It sounds as though you have an extended insert command
at that location of your file and that the length of the command exceeds
the max_allowed_packet setting.

SHOW VARIALBES LIKE 'max%';

Reset it to meet or exceed the largest INSERT command in your dump files.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine