Hello everybody,

I use a table for caching, the table is quite simple there is "id" field which is a md5 on some attributes of an object, a timestamp field and a text field for storing the data.

| id char(32) | timestamp | data (text) |

We clean the table every 2 mins for data older that 10 minutes. The usage of the QUICK keyword on the delete statement seems very appropriate to me since the index on the id doesn't need to be merged since the md5 will probably be reuse sometimes in a near future.

My concerns is about the second index on the timestamp field that we use to be able to delete quickly the rows that are older than 10 minutes. What would be the impact of the quick keywords on that index ? Should we schedule an optimize / analyze on the table every day / week ? Since the data in that field is always incrementing will it becomes fragmented very fast if the index is not merge ?

(For information the table has around 400 megs of data + index ) and every 2 mins we delete 800-900 rows in average.

--
Math
aka ROunofF

======