uhhhhhh.....NO!

That's what databases are for, to "remember" things. They do that by
writing data to disk and reading it back to you when you ask for it. What
exactly do you think you will be losing by stopping and restarting the
server daemon ("service" to you MS-types). What data do you think only
exists in the RAM of the machine and hasn't been written to disk?

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine