Hi all

First usage of MySQL. Newbie in Linux as well as MySQL. Using CentOS 4.2
with MySQL 4.1.12, rpm install.

Changed the data directory.

My /etc/my.conf
---------------

[mysqld]
datadir=/home.dbdata/mysql
socket=/home.dbdata/mysql/mysql.sock

# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
old_passwords=1

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[mysqld_safe]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

Ran these commands for permissions:
chown -R mysql:mysql /home.dbdata/mysql
chmod -R go-rwx  /home.dbdata/mysql

Running /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start says that mysql start failed BUT

ps -aux shows that mysql is running though it reports failure instead of
OK when I start it.

Also when I stop myswl from commandline, it stops and shows OK, but
cannot also connect to it.

Checked the pid file mentioned in the my.cnf and it gets created and
deleted when mysql starts & stops respectively.

Please advise what is happening and what step I have taken wrong and
what to do to correct it. Am a newbie but can follow instructions.
Please help.

With best regards.
Sanjay.