Mikhail Berman wrote:
Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for your help.

I do have an exact situation you have assume I have. Here is the output
of SHOW CREATE TABLE

CREATE TABLE `TICKER_HISTORY_PRICE_DATA` (
  `price_data_ticker` char(8) NOT NULL default '',
  `price_data_date` date NOT NULL default '0000-00-00',
  `price_data_open` float default NULL,
  `price_data_high` float default NULL,
  `price_data_low` float default NULL,
  `price_data_close` float default NULL,
  `price_data_volume` float default NULL,
  UNIQUE KEY `tidadx` (`price_data_ticker`,`price_data_date`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 |

As you can see, Unique KEY is on two first fields, but most of the work,
joins & searches, will be done on the second field "price_data_date".

As others have pointed out, your UNIQUE KEY on (price_data_ticker,price_data_date) will serve as an index to speed queries which search for a specific value of price_data_ticker and queries which search for a specific combination of values of price_data_ticker and price_data_date, but it won't help queries which only search by price_data_date. Yet, "most of the work, joins & searches, will be done on the second field, price_data_date." In that case, you definitely need an index on price_data_date. Based on your description, I'd suggest you have your index backwards. What you need is an index on (price_data_date, price_data_ticker). This will satisfy searches on price_data_date and on combinations of the two. Hence,

  ALTER TABLE TICKER_HISTORY_PRICE_DATA
  DROP INDEX tidadx,
  ADD PRIMARY KEY (price_data_date, price_data_ticker);

That will satisfy most of your queries. Then, the question becomes, do you need a separate, single-column index on price_data_ticker? That will depend on whether you run queries which select based on price_data_ticker without specifying price_data_date.

Michael