Hi all,

there is no conversion done, and mysql will stil be happy to export utf8 (if asked to do so with a set names). So what is the role of the character set and collation at the database level?From what I understand the collation is used when you want to order results for example, case sensitive or not for example.Is that correct and then what is the character set used for? I'm building a new database with utf8 to be able to store chinese and cyrillic characters, and I will probably have to change that old isolatin1 to utf8 as well, but i'd like to understand what I'm doing....
thanks for your help,
melanie

If you write an hungarian article about your test, maybe you will plan an english translation?or is hungarian hard to learn? :-)

Well, finally I finished my article about this topic. In Hungarian. Maybe somebody still interested in it:

  http://weblabor.hu/cikkek/mysql50karakterkodolasok

I'll try to summarize it in English too, I hope I'll have some time for it.

Bye,
  Andras