I'm not saying it was an inappropriate way to present the data but it certainly was unexpected and, in my opinion, counter-intuitive. I didn't want the original poster to see page 3, see that his own country, Brazil, was missing, and dismiss the PDF as garbage.

Rhino

P.S. Sorry for top-posting but I can't intersperse normally with your email.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Björn Persson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: Country codes

Rhino wrote:
Be careful when reading those lists! When I looked at page 3 in the English
PDF, it said it was in numeric order and the list showed all the countries
that use country code 1, then country 20 (Egypt), then country 210 (spare)
*without* showing 55 (Brazil). Page 6 shows countries 500 through 509, then
51 through 58, and so on. Therefore, Brazil doesn't appear until Page 6.
They have obviously chosen to sort the list only on the FIRST DIGIT of the
country code; that's a pretty odd form of numerical order, in my opinion!

That's not normal numerical order of course, but it's exactly the order you
need if you're parsing a phone number where you don't know beforehand how
many digits are the country code. I suppose you could call it alphabetical
order, only it's applied to digits instead of letters.

Björn Persson