David -

Sorry for the delayed response.  ulimit is unlimited.
I am using the RPMs for RH EL3 downloaded from a
mirror so I would assumed they have been built to
allow > 2GB archives.

I am most likely going a different route at this point
as my query response time is much too slow even with a
1GB archive table.  Using a separate MyISAM table for
each day of data (~ 132mb/3.2m rows) gives me the
response time I need -- plus there are no scenarios in
which I will be performing cross-day queries (I would
guess I could use the merge table if necessary).

Thanks again,
Marc

--- "Logan, David (SST - Adelaide)"