Hello,

We just upgraded from 3.23.58 to 4.0.24. Our database connection, which can remain open for a very long time, is timing out after being idle overnight, where it never had in 3.23.58. I learned from the manual that there is a global variable WAIT_TIMEOUT, which appears to be set at 28800 seconds (8 hrs) by default. I can set this value to some larger amount, say 7 days, but that may not be long enough depending on how our customers use our product. In version 5.0.13 I can call mysql_options() with MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT set to true to enable automatic reconnection to the server if the connection has been lost. I think this is really what I want to do instead of setting the WAIT_TIMEOUT variable to a large value. Is there any way to set this reconnect flag in the 4.0.24 version programatically? How?

Betty