I've been doing some testing to determine tradeoffs with performance
for using the Innobase or BDB tables.

The testing application contains bulk inserts which must be processed
as quickly as possible.  The results I'm getting look very bad for
innobase.  Am I doing something wrong?

I'm inserting 49,990 rows via file containing individual inserts
(1 insert per sql statement).  The table contains 7 columns and 6

Why is there so much difference on the time taken to insert the
files?

averages:
MyISAM    45 seconds
INNODB    1000 seconds
BDB       600 seconds

The machine is a development testing machine and is memory challenged
(192megs ram) these inserts were the only significant process on the
machine at the time (each ran 4 times).

Here are my innodb settings
---------------------------------------
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata:800M
innodb_data_home_dir = /usr/mysql/ibdata
set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /usr/mysql/iblogs
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=50M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
innodb_log_arch_dir = /usr/mysql/iblogs
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

I expected some loss over MyISAM but the magnitude is much higher than
expected, especially in light of the fact that others have been seeing
innodb to be as fast or faster than MyISAM.