Hello.

> I have also tried mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables --user=root &

Don't run mysqld under root (even more - fresh versions should

automatically skip this option). What exactly have you done to

restore root password? Please provide exact SQL statements.

What user is 'Access denied' error message reporting. Are you

using old passwords? BTW: your version of MySQL is old enough,

I recommend you to upgrade to the latest release.

       <___/   www.mysql.com