Having some troubles coping with this issue using MySQL 3.23.31 on a
Linux box.

Brief explanation of what's going on:

I have a table setup that requires two negative values in an
AUTO_INCREMENT field (not my choice, nor is there anything I can do to
correct this issue at this time), '-10' and '-20'.  These are internal
"special" values to the application that uses this table, and should
be ignored when updating the AUTO_INCREMENT column.  I have one
database with this scenario which is working perfectly fine.

I just setup another database with exactly the same model, and now I'm
running into all kinds of problems.  Every time data is inserted into
a table with pre-populated negative values, the AUTO_INCREMENT field
defaults to the value '2147483647'.  I have tried overriding this with
the SET INSERT_ID and AUTO_INCREMENT options, but these only work for
the immediately following INSERT, then all following INSERTs once again
default to the value of '2147483647' on the AUTO_INCREMENT column.

I remember having this issue the last time I had to use one of these
databases with negative AUTO_INCREMENT values, but I was able to
overcome the problem by "resetting" the AUTO_INCREMENT counter to
start from '1'.  Unfortunately, I can not find this information again
to save myself.

I plan on contacting the application developers to see what can be
done about the negative values, but if anyone can point me in the
direction of any notes which explain how to reset the AUTO_INCREMENT
counter to ignore the negative values and restart at a positive
integer, I will very much appreciate it.

--
Best regards,
 Brian Curtis