On 09 May 2001 11:00:49 +0300, Andis wrote:
> I'm from Latvia. Currently my database contain words, which contain Latvian specific
>characters.
> MySQL works under RedHat6.2.
>
> Is anybody now how is possible to teach MySQL correctly sort textual strings with
>Latvian characters?

Yes it is possible. MySQL is built on way that all different nations can
use it. Problem is that nobody from Latvija have contributed their
information about character sets and sorting order. It is highly
possible that some of already existing solutions work for Latvian
language but best if you can provide full information and help to
translate error messages.

For that download mysql source code and search for every occurence of
word "estonia" inside mysql source. In all same places you should
provide similar things for Latvia. This includes character set, sorting
order and error messages. If you can help in this in few weeks we
include full support for it in MySQL 4.0

    Tõnu