Goodday to you all

For those that are interested, I have managed to get my GEMINI tables
working successfully, and changed one of my reports to use the MYSQL tables
instead of my original MSACCESS ones. Had a couple problems with the initial
altering of some tables from MYISAM to GEMINI, but managed to do some work
arounds and get it right eventually. I set up a test, got four tables, they
are linked in pairs as the set's contain different info. I am using a inner
join statement, joining on a indexed field. (select * from shcoslin inner
join shcosmas  on shcoslin.batch=shcosmas.batch) This is not my exact
statement as there is also a where clause, but just to give you some
details. Once I have completed filling my grid with the above statement, I
then do it again but on two different tables. My timer runs from the
beginning to end, i.e. the time taken includes adding the neccessary rows to
the grid, and so it is not only the execute part.

My table details are:

shcosmas = 3766 records
shcoslin = 78432 records
shinvmas = 6057 records
shinvlin = 20314 records

the two "shcos" tables are fixed length, about 200 characters
the two "shinv" tables are dynamic, and mostly about 200 characters as well

This test was not for inserts, purely select statement as per above. My
inserts I am not too worried about as these are mostly spread out and never
more than 50 inserts consequetivelly, normally max 5. Therefore I am more
worried with the reporting hence this test.

I ran each test 6 times on each setup, I know this is not a huge amount of
testing but all 6 showed the same times bar one second, so I figured 50 will
prove the same results.

Results:-
MYISAM TYPE
About 6000 records selected and inserted into the grid, then sorted.
47.5 seconds
About 13000 records selected and inserted into the grid, then sorted.
145.5 seconds

Then once changed to GEMINI format
About 6000 records selected and inserted into the grid, then sorted.
21.0 seconds
About 13000 records selected and inserted into the grid, then sorted.
100.5 seconds

As said above, these times include the time taken to add the rows using a
while, wend statement to a grid in my application. The timer is at the exact
same point, and is logged into a file therefore there is no chance of me
starting/stopping a clock watch at the wrong time, etc etc.

I am running this on a PII600 Laptop, running 256MB Ramm and Windows 2000
Professional using Nusphere's MYSQL for Windows which has the gemini table
type.

So, the above results makes for VERY interesting reading. I know the GEMINI
table is still in Beta Testing and so with that, does come some
complications which I hope will be sorted out once the official release, but
now that it is running I will need to see if I have any other problems.

All my data was imported from a MSACCESS database, and found that I had to
import the table definition first, change the type and add the neccessary
indexes, and then import the data otherwise the mysqld-opt crashed
occassionally.

Regards
Warren

Warren van der Merwe