I did answer my own question, and that's why I said:

> That being said, the point of this post is to ask -- Is MySQL working
> on allowing the SET limit to increase?  Or is that just too much
> storage and math?

Using a SET is, I believe, MUCH faster than making a special table
simply to normalize the data.  I believe in using MySQL's
functionality to the fullest, and working smarter, not harder.

Would folks use SET to help normalize their data instead of using a
separate table?  Should I put in a request for the feature I want?  Or
would very few folks benefit, and it would add too much storage and
computational cost? (my original question)

-Sheeri