Hi Mike,

It sounds like what you need to know is what a B-tree index is and how
it works.  I took a course in Data Structures and Algorithms that
taught it to me.  Try

http://www.bluerwhite.org/btree/

and the links at the bottom.

Specifically,

"B-Tree-Delete

Deletion of a key from a b-tree is possible; however, special care
must be taken to ensure that the properties of a b-tree are
maintained. Several cases must be considered. If the deletion reduces
the number of keys in a node below the minimum degree of the tree,
this violation must be corrected by combining several nodes and
possibly reducing the height of the tree. If the key has children, the
children must be rearranged."

So it depends what the B-tree index in MySQL uses as the minimum
degree of the tree.  I wish I had 1/2 an hour or an hour to sit down
and explain how a B-tree works, but I think the link above explains it
pretty well.

-Sheeri