Thanks for the responses everyone. Just a quick FYI, I am using Python as an intermediary to sync the DBs (I'm fine with using whatever as long as it's Debian compatible). I suppose I should have explained before, but I'm using the Python script to connect from a "client" machine to a "server" machine which is why I prefer a command to be able to 'sync' the data. Although I will have DB access on the "server", there is no guarantee that I'll have actual disk write access. Hence, again, the need to be able to query for the command so as to write it to a text file on the "client" machine for use, etc. Sort of a "hey, server, what would it take to make table BLAH if I wanted to recreate it completely?" kind of thing.

Thanks again!

On Nov 30, 2005, at 12:02 AM, Rhino wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:30 PM
Subject: SHOW commands.

Hi all,

Is there a command similar to "SHOW CREATE TABLE. . ." that will output the commands to fully duplicate a table; data and all? I want to retrieve the command and write it to a text file.

Basically what I need is a "SHOW" on "CREATE TABLE copy SELECT * FROM original", but SHOW doesn't seem to work here. I need a copy of this command so that I can then replicate that table as often as desired in the future on whatever system is in place. I could obviously dump the entire db, but i only want this on a per table basis, as I deem necessary, whenever I deem it so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think there is an option of mysqldump that lets you dump just a single, specified table. Maybe that would do the trick for you?

If not, and assuming you are running an appropriate version of MySQL, would a query on INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES get you what you want? I'm still on V4.0.x so I'm not completely clear on what is available in the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.

If all else fails and you have a Java developer handy, you can write Java code to determine the composition of tables, even in MySQL 4.0.x; I know because I've done it.

Rhino