rouvas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/30/2005 10:18:33 AM:

> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 18:11, Alex Gemmell wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > To make this work on 4.0, you have to do manually something the
engine
> > > did for you implicitly: create a temporary table.
> > >
> > > CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery SELECT *
> > > FROM tblactivites
> > > WHERE Assignment_ID=$row['Assignment_ID']
> > >   ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10;
> > >
> > > SELECT * from tmpSubquery ORDER BY Date ASC;
> > >
> > > DROP TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery;
> > >

> > > There are only two things to remember to make this work.
> > > 1) All of these statements must be on the same, continuously
connected
> > > connection. You cannot close the connection between the
> > > statements.
> > > 2) If you do not drop the temp table and you try to execute this set
of
> > > commands on the same continuous connection, you will get an error.
> > >
> > > Shawn Green
> > > Database Administrator
> > > Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
> >
> > Thanks Shawn but I couldn't seem to get this to work.
> >
> > I made the point of checking the MySQL User that PHP connects with.  I
> > gave it CREATE and DROP privilages on the database schema in question.
> > It previously only had SELECT privilages.
> >
> > Here's my PHP code to show you how I tried it:
> >
> > [PHP]
> > $query = "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery
> >    SELECT * FROM tblactivities
> >    WHERE Assignment_ID='".$row['Assignment_ID']."'
> >    ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10;
> >    SELECT * FROM tmpSubquery ORDER BY Date ASC;
> >    DROP TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery;";
> >
> > $result_activities = mysql_query($query);
> > [/PHP]
> >
> > I tried splitting up the queries to see if it helped but it didn't
work
> > either:
> >
> > [PHP]
> > $query1 = "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery
> >    SELECT * FROM tblactivities
> >    WHERE Assignment_ID='".$row['Assignment_ID']."'
> >    ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10;";
> > mysql_query($query1);
> >
> > query2 = "SELECT * FROM tmpSubquery ORDER BY Date ASC;";
> > $result_activities = mysql_query($query2);
> >
> > query3 = "DROP TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery;";
> > mysql_query($query3);
> > [/PHP]
> >
> > Perhaps I am missing something obvious here?  I hope you or anyone
else
> > can offer some more help.
> >
> > Alex
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> a ";" after the tmpSubquery above would be nice...:-)
>
> -Stathis

Uhhh --- NO! The CREATE ... SELECT... is all one complete single
statement. If we did it your way, you would be asking MySQL to create a
table with no columns in it. RTFM if you don't beleive me:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/create-table.html

I don't know PHP well enough to say for certain what your problem might
be. Can you post your error codes?

My suspicion is the trailing semicolons are causing the problems. Those
are used in the CLI but my copy of the PHP docs say that the query string
should not end a semicolon.