Hi,

For identification of each record in our database
we use an 'autovalue'-column.
It seems that this was a rather bad idea.
As we are now planning to run two individual databases.
In both of them records shall be written.
Later we plan to merge them together again.

But how can we do this?

With the 'autovalue'-ids we may end with record having the same ids.

Can I somehow say that
in database (1) the autovalues should start with 1
and in database (2) maybe with 100000000 ?

With 'postgres' I could use a sequence for that.
Can mysql the same or do I have to build a sequence table on my own?
If I have to build my own sequence table, how do I handle the locking?

thanks for any help

Gunnar von Boehn