I tried -C (--compress), but it still took awhile, since the resulting .sql
file is 218Megs.

I am thinking I will have to write a function which logs into an ssh server
inside the local area network that the db server is on, and hopefully the
bottleneck of the internet will disappear, only locking the tables for a few
seconds or mins.