Jenny Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/02/2005 12:27:33 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to connect to the MySQL server on the RedHat AS 4 from a
remote
> Solaris SPARC box. When I run the command:
>
> mysql -h HOSTNAME
>
> I got the error as
>
> ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'HOSTNAME' (145)
>

> Could anyone please explain what the mean of the error message and how
> solve it?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jenny

The value after the -h must either be a valid hostname in your
organization or an IP address. If you can "ping" the server you want to
reach by name, that's the name to use. Otherwize use the IP address of the
machine you are trying to reach.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine