[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

I haven't admin'd MySQL in a couple of years, and I have forgotten and lot
(and probably never knew even more.)

I recently installed the current 4.1x MySQL release in Windows XP. I am
trying to track down problems, and can't seem to get an error log. I
expected to see a file, mysql.err in the data directory.

Not only isn't it there, but trying to add something like

err-log (extrapolating from the --err-log I'd used in Unix)

in the mysqld area of the my.ini file prevents the server from launching,
so that is clearly either not the correct syntax or not the correct place
for such a line (or both).

Next, is there supposed to be a way to start/restart MySQL in Windows
other than by going to the Services panel for the general computer? Is
this something that can be done from the command line?

Many thanks,
ari
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Manual: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/error-log.html