Hi,

I've been dealing with this problem for a week now
without resolution.
I'm running an application called mythtv which uses
mysql as its database.
I've installed mythtv and mysql dozens of times
without any problem.

I'd been running two Mandrake 10.1 systems for the
last nine months. One,
gandalf, was the mythtv backend server which also runs
mysql.  The other is
frodo, which runs the mythtfrontend ( client ) and
connects to the backend.
It must also connect to the mysql DB.
MySQL-4.0.20-3mdk.i586.rpm comes with
the Mandrake 10.1 distribution.  I don't know which
version of mysql that
equates to.

I first installed Mandrivia 2006 on the client system,
which comes with
Mysql 4.1.2 ( MySQL-4.1.12-3mdk.i586.rpm ).  I did an
install, not an
upgrade.  I could still connect to gandalf with:

mysql -umythtv -pmythtv -hgandalf mythconverg

I then did a mysqldump on mythconverg and install
Mandrivia 2006 on
server gandalf.  I restored the mythconverg;  Now,  I
get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h gandalf
mythconverg
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on
'gandalf' (111)

I then tried granting privledges to mythconverg using
on the server
gandalf:

# mysql -u root mythconverg
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%"
identified by "mythtv";
mysql> flush privileges;

Still can't connect.

I booted off the old installation and did a mysql dump
of mysql database
and did inserts of the appropriate tables, like the
user table.  Still
can't connect.

I've droped the mythconverg database, recreated a
skeleton of it, granted
the open privledges and still can not connect to it.

Another fact:  on the server gandalf,  I can connect
to the database
as localhost, but not if I specify the host:

gandalf# mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
        Success!!

gandalf# mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h gandalf
mythconverg        Failure!!

gandalf# mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h 10.0.1.40
mythconverg     Failure!!

gandalf# mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h 127.0.0.1
mythconverg     Success!!

gandalf# mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h localhost
mythconverg      Success!!

I've already check my /etc/my.cnf file for a "binding"
line.  Its not
there.  I also found an item online that indicated
adding:

skip-innodb
set-variable=thread_stack=256k

to /etc/my.cnf was needed for mysql under Mandrake.
Still no help.

Also,  I can resolve the name/ip of both hosts from
both hosts.  I
can ping each host ( by name ) both ways.  I can ssy (
by name ) between
both hosts.

Thanks,

Mike