Thanks for the replies so far,
I still haven't got this figured out, but I left out one important
piece of information. I'm moving 3.23 databases to a 4.1 installation.
Looking at the documentation, I see instructions for upgrading from
3.23 to 4.0 and then upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1. Does that mean that I
can't just move databases from a machine that was 3.23 to a machine
that is 4.1?

I have the entire old mysql/data folder copied to the new machine (in
my user folder - not in the new mysql/data folder).

The original machine is not really working at the moment - a kernel
panic caused by I-don't-know-what. But I've replicated everything
important from it to the new machine and want to do the same with the
mysql databases, except I'm running into this "how to move 3.23
databases" into a 4.1 installation problem.

Any suggestions, now that I have made the problem a little clearer?

TIA